About the Contest
The Tumbleweed Music Festival Songwriting Contest is an annual event. Each year a theme is chosen and applicants are encouraged to write a song based on the theme. Recorded songs are submitted by the songwriter prior to the festival and are pre-judged. Ten songs are selected to be performed on Saturday afternoon in front of a live audience and a panel of judges. The top three winners will receive prizes and there will also be a people's choice award.
Here is the list of the 2018 song writing finalists in alpha order - be sure to come to the festival to cheer on your favorite!
Ron Dalton "The Roots You Left Behind"
Alan Ehrlich "Hang On To what You Got"
Mary J. Hartman "Two Strong Roots"
Michael "Hawkeye" Herman "Rock Island"
Kay Miracle "Rebel Gene"
Claudia Nygaard "Lucky Girl"
Loretta Simonet "Roots Grow Strong"
Patrice Webb "Idaho"
Fae Wiednhoeft "No Roots For Me"
Mark Williams "The Roots from Which I Came"
Barrie Dempsey "I Don't Live in That Town"
Eli D. Ashley "10 Miles Into Oregon"
- 2017 -Jen Hajj - Love is Everywhere
- 2016- Amanda Winterhalter
- 2015- James Nason
- 2014 - Jeff Knoch - Only A Game
- 2013 - Mike Murray - Cicero's Hands
- 2012 - Jeff Knoch - Crossroads
- 2011 - Tracy Spring - The Weaver's Loom
- 2010 - Tracy Spring - Long Time Gone
- 2009 - Mike Murray - Grandpa Held the Snakes
- 2008 - Karena Prater - Arlea's Lament
- 2007 - Chris Roe - The Gates of Troy
- 2006 - Wes Weddell - Carry On
- 2005 - Art Hanlon - Last Sunday
- 2004 - Joe Jencks - On Belay
- 2003 - Joe Jencks - Rise as One
- 2002 - Larry Murante - It Just Looks that Way
- 2001 - Groovesmith Collective
- Songwriters: Jim Coleman, Mary Hartman, Janet Humphrey, and Gary White)- Power Puzzle
- 2000 - Bill Davie - Lone Ranger on the Moon
- 1999 - Six Legged Frog - To the Other Side
- 1998 - Larry Murante - By the Water's Edge
- 1997 - Six Legged Frog - Ride the Tumbleweed